Wednesday 7 January 2009

LONG TIME NO SEE!

So it's been a long long time since I last paid any attention to my blog, and I think I now need to get on with my work! 
I have felt extremely unmotivated for too long over the Christmas holidays now, and need a fresh start and kick up the backside in order to achieve great and wonderful things :)
I already knew what I needed to do, but it was the inspiration I needed, and after the talk on Monday from Illustrator Cattell Ronca I was deeply inspired! So now I need to bring this into action.
I felt she gave a lot of good advice, and somehow even if you weren't an illustrator to start with, I came out wanting to be one after the talk. It all sounded so interesting!
She broke her presentation into sections, talking us through things we need to consider when making it as a freelance illustrator (however this can be interpreted as a graphic designer also), before showing us examples of her work.

1. DEFINE MARKET:
  • editorial, design, greeting cards, advertising etc.
2. RESEARCH POTENTIAL CLIENTS:
  • what kind of illustrations/designs are being used?
  • look at publications.
3. ADDRESS THE RIGHT PERSON:
  • record the names of art directors/editors (Get spelling right!).
  • use directories - AOI directory, FileFX, Bikinilist. (Time saving but expensive)
4. SELF PROMOTION:
  • your work must stand out, original, memorable (i.e handmade or limited edition), must have value.
  • demonstrate your way of thinking and communicating an idea.
  • good concept.
  • how special are you?
  • think outside the box.
5. SHOW YOUR PORTFOLIO:
  • use names you collect to make appointments.
  • your portfolio must be impeccable.
  • include work only relevant for client.
  • commissioned work goes in front.
  • only include work you're most proud of.
  • experimental work in back.
  • max. size A3.
  • no more than 20 pieces.
  • no sketchbooks.
  • always bring business card.
  • ask AD who else they can recommend.
6. CREATE A WEBSITE:
  • make it interesting.
  • easy to navigate.
  • must be available to everyone.
7. NETWORK:
  • with other illustrators.
  • keep in touch with people you studied with.
  • regular contact with clients - send postcards?
  • organise exhibitions.
8. GET COMMISSIONED:
  • confirm commission in writing.
9. COPYRIGHT:
  • your name.
  • do not give it away, offer a licence.
  • read smallprint, especially where it says 'ALL RIGHTS'.
10. PRICING:
  • what is illustration used for?
  • how big is the client?
  • how big is the budget?
  • circulation?
  • area and duration of the licence?

All great things to consider, takes alot of work but I'm hoping one day I'll be successful using this advice!

No comments: