Saturday, 28 February 2009
Friday, 27 February 2009
Thursday, 26 February 2009
- Look at Barbara Kruger and Andrew Weiner.
- Think of different ways to present.
- Continue to gather material.
- Research artists that work with text.
- Sift through magazines and newspapers.
- Research typefaces.
- Gather quotes.
For my professional project I am looking into positive thinking.
Please can you answer the following questions?
Copy and paste, answer and send back!
1. What makes you happiest?
2. What can't you live without?
3. What advice would you give to someone who needs to think more positively?
That is all :) Thanks for the help!
Monday, 23 February 2009
- Define topic.
- Define further into the topic: eg. to a specific country, time era...
- Think of alternative ways of saying the same thing. (both when writing keywords and forming the sentences)
- Read and reflect on what you have read.
- READ information you find. Make notes.
- EVALUATE what you have read.
Friday, 20 February 2009
Synopsis of study
For my final major project I will be looking into happiness and positive thinking. I will be researching this through conducting surveys and experiments on a large number of people in order to get the best results. My primary research will be supported by material from books and the Internet. I will be looking into methods of relaxation and how colour effects people’s mood using perception and looking briefly into the psychology behind it.
My aim is to encourage people to think in a more positive way. From more positive thinking, I want to encourage people to become more self-confident and reconsider how they perceive everyday life, as well as other people. This can help in stressful times, or just simply change their way of tackling the day ahead. I want to divert people from being affected by negative thoughts and reflect on positive thoughts. An exercise I will be conducting will involve a group of people recording between 5-10 good things that happened during their day in order to bypass the bad. In addition to this I will record how they felt after the exercise to see if it helped in their positive thinking. From this information I will map people’s behaviors and thoughts, which will contribute strongly to my primary research.
My target audience can effectively be massive, however, I believe that young adults aged from 18+ will benefit from being able to think more positively and could potentially affect their outlook on life. It is this age group that find it hard to relax and manipulate their way of thinking, as it is a big turning point in their lives and are faced with a lot of different things. I am not trying to persuade people to forget their problems, but to consider there are other ways of dealing with them using positive thinking.
I am aware that there are a lot of self help books in existence already, however I aim to produce something in a different form, using the same technique. A simple quote or short phrase is something that can and will stick in someone’s head if it is effective enough. I aim to develop a small variety of these, which will be enhanced by the overall design and use of colour. I will produce a small collection of postcards, which can effectively be supported by other media to form my final piece. In order to put it into practice I will conduct one last survey from a separate group of people to gain some feedback on how effective my work has been and whether or not it has inspired positive thinking.
Thursday, 19 February 2009
Wednesday, 18 February 2009
Tuesday, 17 February 2009
- Be happy where you are.
- Practice ignoring your negative thoughts.
- Relax, reflect, smile.
- No matter how s*** your day is, I bet something good happened.
- Will this matter a year from now?
- Lighten up.
- Turn this upside down. (Things are looking up already)
- Put textures in the text?
- Bring in templates?
- Decide how to use space on the screen?
- Stitch paper together?
Monday, 16 February 2009
Friday, 13 February 2009
- I need to research Anthony Burrill > consider use of colour, connect with colour theory/analyse and compare to how I work.
- Positive thinking.
- Quotes and design > decide where it will appear > advert in magazine?
- Recording process? > gather info from 10-20 people and map > 10 good things about each day > record how they feel after taking this exercise?
- Look at 'Poems in the waiting room'.
- How can groups of people motivate each other?
- Look at 'True' (graphic designer).
- Primary research.
- Colour theory.
- State of mind.
Thursday, 12 February 2009
- I want to produce something to help make people think more positively, particularly when they are stressed.
- I want people to reflect on the good things in their day, not the bad.
- I want my design and use of colour to enhance the way people think psychologically.
- I will use surveys and experiments to form primary research.
- I will be researching the psychology behind colour and how they effect people.
- Make people remember, they can't forget their problems, but can think more positively about them.
- Aim is for more positive thinking, and self confidence.
- It's all about your way of thinking. This CAN be controlled.
Monday, 9 February 2009
Saturday, 7 February 2009
Friday, 6 February 2009
- identity > logo design.
- letter heads.
- business cards.
- merchandise > badges > keyrings > stickers.
- ways to persuade to recycle.
- materials > plastic > cardboard > fabric.
- packaging > what for? > minimal.
- WAYS OF INFORMATION
- on the bus.
- magazines > content? > what about? > how big?
- WHAT TO DO IF...?
- you get lost > use imagination? > serious approach.
- you need to get less stressed? > stress ball.
- you want to travel?
- funny scenarios? > alternatives > things to do in situation?
- get more positive attitude?
- TOUR GUIDE
- theme parks?
- bournemouth > history? > things to see?
- bath > reasons to go? > why is it special?
- london > tube system > distance > best places > cheap option > never been before.
- are there more simple ways of learning?
- how can we understand visual communication?
- learning intelligences.
- look at statistics? > how long do people sit in front of the tv? > how often and when are educational programs on tv?
- realistic methods.
- how do people learn better? > generations > artistic/academic people > kids > teach themselves > images/colour/text?
- WHAT MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY?
- feelings > actions > words > weather > environment > relaxation methods > colour > music.
- places to go?
- different people use different methods.
- make people think differently?
- look at depression?
- humorous approach? > genres/appearance > goth/skinhead/emo/chav.